Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Update 9/15/09

Hi. Will's surgery went well and he has a new tendon in place where his old ACL used to be. The surgery took 3 hours instead of 2, and Will had a hard time coming out of the anesthetic, so things took a little longer than planned. Then once Will did wake up, he was in a lot of pain and distress, so they gave him another pain shot and that knocked him out for another two hours. So by the time he got up and around, we were at the hospital for a total of 9 hours. Dr. Safian said everything went well and that the new tendon went in fine and looked good. Will is now on the couch all day with his leg up and in a large brace the length of his leg (a bit uncomfortable, but necessary). He has an ice machine that is attached to his brace that keeps his knee cold and keeps swelling down. He is adjusting to crutches and is pretty slow going so far, but he'll get used to them soon enough. His attitude has been real good, and he's keeping a stiff upper lip. We were welcomed home last night with 3 of his football buddies waiting for us in front of the house. They wanted to be there when we got home to "help Will get up the (porch) stairs and into the house." " We knew you couldn't carry him, Mrs. Stanton, so we thought we better be here." Now that's friendship!

Today Will and I had a good conversation about how life sometimes throws you a curve ball and how sometimes you just gotta play the hand you've been dealt. He's still sad about his injury, but is accepting his situation. We compared notes on each of our surgeries, and had a few laughs about some of the things we each experienced in the o.r. We now feel we understand a bit more about what each of us has been going through, and we find we have a lot of similarities. I'm real proud of my boy and I know he will grow through this experience.

I have a cold--caught it at work, I'm sure--we've had several kids out sick. Getting a simple cold is tougher on me than it used to be. I'm just really, really tired. I have a busy week, so no time for extra rest. Tomorrow after work, I take Mom to the Dr. to get that kidney stint removed that was put in during the summer. Thursday after work, it's back to the dentist for more work on my teeth. Chuck is in Seattle with his job, so me and Will are on our own for the week.

Have a great week, and thank you once again for your continued prayers for Will and his recovery.

Love, Stacey

1 comment:

Fagundes' said...

Hi Stacey,
So glad to hear that Will surgery went well. I hope by now he is in a little less pain and on a good road to recovery. Does he have to have physical therapy too?

You are so right about the curves in life that are given to us. They are done for a reason but of course always questioned.

What a great picture of Aaron, that was priceless was that in the newspaper or just on there website. Ronnie would like to get a copy of it and make him a fathead to hang on his wall. Do you know where I can get a picture from or a contact that I can call?

I hope your mom's dr. appt went well too. You have been very busy, I'm sure in some ways it's good but in others it is very hectic! I took a day off just to take my mom to all of her appts, for the year and then they say she needs a colonoscopy...what the heck!! LOL so after that I should be done for at least 6 months, if it's not one thing it's another.

Work is going well. Settling down a bit. Ronnie and Blaine are doing good too!

Tell everyone hello,
To be continued!
JoAnne