Hi friends. Hope everyone is well. I don't like that I'm not posting more than every 2 weeks. My goal is to do better next week. So thanks for hanging in there with me.
It's been another busy, busy 2 weeks. We're all doing okay. Will is progressing along with his knee. He's off of the brace now, except for when he's in a crowd or a situation where he can get it bumped. Then he puts the brace on to protect himself. The wheelchair is being returned tomorrow--yeah! and he hasn't used the crutches for about a week now. He still gets sore if he stands too long, but overall he's progressing well. PT is going fine and he's doing his exercises daily. One month of recovery down --8 to go. Friday night football games are still the toughest. His team is struggling, and he just wants to get in there and contribute, and he can't. I have to keep reminding myself that there will be good to come out of this experience--a strenghening of character at the very least. But he's my boy, and he still gets sad, so therefore I get sad too. The upside is that he's had lots of time to think about lots of stuff, and we've had some really good conversations lately.
We went down to LA again last weekend to watch another game of Aaron's. Occidental came from behind to beat University of Redlands 27-24 in overtime. Boy, talk about an exciting game! Aaron had some nice tackles and played well. Two of the Hanford West High School coaches travelled down to watch him play, which was very nice--he appreciated them being there. Will took a copy of his HS transcripts and some game film from last year down to give to the Oxy coaches, as he's thinking about going there next year. He hasn't decided where he's going yet, but that whole process will be heating up here in the next couple months. Never a dull moment!
Oh, Margaret, we are going down again this coming weekend for the Chapman game (we plan to go to all the games--I missed almost all of them last year, and I don't want to miss any this year, especially since it is Aaron's last year to play). We would love to see you and Gary, and it's okay with us if you root for Chapman too:). Loyalty is a nice thing:). I'll call you or you call me later in the week for details. If any of the rest of your family is interested, we'd love to see them too!
Last weekend was jam packed with activity for us. Saturday morning, before we left for LA, Chuck and I dropped Will off at the high school cafeteria to take his SAT test, then we went to the high school bowl for the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. I had never been to one before. I was invited last year, but it was just a few days before my tumor removal surgery and I was in no shape to go. I am SO grateful I got to go this year--what a lovely event they put on. Chuck and I had breakfast there and then they had a cute opening ceremony. Then they kicked off the relay with a survivors' lap. I was amazed at how many cancer patients/survivors there are in Hanford.
I was honored to walk this lap with my dear, dear friend Audra Koelewyn, who is 8 years old and is surviving a brain tumor she's had since age 3. Audra is one of those people in my life that I am inspired by every time I see her, or talk to her mom on the phone. She is one of the most positive and encouraging people I know. She always has a smile on her face, never complains about her situation, and always has something nice to say! I love this kid! So anyway, we walk our little survivor's lap, and then the 2nd lap your family/caregivers get to join you. So Chuck and I walked that lap together, and Audra's family joined her as well. It was very emotional for me--yep I cried much of the lap. I kept thinking about how far I have travelled this last year on this cancer journey, and how far my family and all of you have travelled with me. It was a morning of reflection and GRATITUDE! Thank you to those of you who purchased luminaries in my name. I was deeply touched--yep, I cried over those too! I bought one for my Dad, who died of cancer in 1992. It was a wonderful, emotional, comforting morning--one I will never forget, and I look forward to participating again next year.
In all the busy-ness of last weekend, I did miss my 30th high school reunion because we chose to go to LA instead. Karen G and Tammy F, I heard both of you were there (I had dinner with Trish this evening and she filled me in). Would love to hear from you about how much fun you had. If anyone has pictures, would love to see them too. Trish said she had a nice time--I'm sorry I missed out.
Have a great week friends, and remember that God is Good!
Love, Stacey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Stacey!
I just got done making my boys breakfast so I thought I would drop you a line.
Glad to hear everything is going well with you and your family.
Can you believe October is almost over, where is this time going...this is why we have to enjoy everyday to the fullest!
Thanks for the post as I look forward to reading them, take care and have a good week.
Love Ya,
JoAnne
Post a Comment