Thursday, December 25, 2008

Update 12/25/08

Merry Christmas everyone! I can't believe a week has gone by since my last message. I decided I finally felt well enough to actually get ready for Christmas, so all my shopping, wrapping, (and decorating, as reported last week) was VERRY last minute this year, even more so than usual:). But it's all done now, (except for the Christmas cards:), and we are looking forward to having the family and some friends over for Christmas dinner. There will be about 35 of us, and I'm so excited. Like Thanksgiving, Chuck's cousin, as well as his mom and sister, will all be here and doing most of the work, although I'm feeling stronger now, so I plan to pitch in as well.

Will's lung is finally completely healed! His Dr. called Monday to wish him a Merry Christmas with the good news--no more sports restrictions. He was on the soccer field at practice that afternoon. He came home singing the blues about being out of shape, though:). One day at a time, my boy--you'll get it back.

Well the Stantons are all now sporting lovely buzz cut hairdos. I got tired of cleaning up my hair that was falling out daily, but slowly, so I went to see my dear friend and hairdresser Adam Medeiros. He buzzed my head so I don't have to worry about it anymore. My 3 boys also buzzed their heads in support (they actually did theirs' first--it took me a few more days to get my nerve up). I'll put some photos on here of us with our new do's, as soon as I get one of the boys to show me how to do that:)

I've been enjoying your comments so much. Margaret, I loved hearing about Auntie Lorabelle and Granny and the hair episode--yes, I can just hear the two of them! I'd love to hear more, as my parents never told me much about Auntie's cancer battle--I only knew that she had cancer, but, of course, my parents never discussed any details or stories with me.

I love hearing about all of everyone's plans for Christmas as well. Sounds like some wonderful times with family and friends--so, so important.

So here it is 1:00am Christmas morning, and the house is quiet and I finally have a moment to just sit and be grateful. This Christmas I just want to reflect on just how blessed I am to be here and to celebrate the birth of our Saviour. Christmas has an extra special meaning for me this year, and I know you will join me in thanking our Lord for all of the many blessings He gives to each one of us each day. I am thankful for the recovery that is taking place in my body, and for strength that grows a little bit each day. I am thankful for my family and each one of you friends that are all so dear to me and continue to be such a wonderful source of strength and encouragement. Most of all, I am thankful for life itself, and the wonder of each new day--whatever the day might bring.

Merry Christmas and God Bless you all.

Love,
Stacey and family

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Stacey and Family

Sounds like your day is filled with all the ingrediants that make for a joyous and wonderful day.

We also had a truely meaningful day. As my father was in an accident on his way to our house. He fell asleep at the wheel and drifted off the road. Hit a road sign and went down into a revean. He and his wife walked away unhurt and very thankful to be alive. His truck on the other hand is in pretty bad shape, but as I told him that is material and replacable and we were just so thankful to have him here. So needless to say we were blessed when he arrived and we were able to give them hugs and tell them we loved them.

I am glad to hear the good news about Will, and I am sure it will not take him long to get back into shape.

We will be traveling down to sourhtern California for New Year's to visit with Ron's dad. I wish you and your family a safe and Happy New Year.

Stacy C. said...

Merry Christmas My Friend!
Cardoza's spent last weekend in Arizona- we flew from LAX, visited the Grand Canyon, played in fresh snow, rode the Polar Express train from Williams, got a snow cancellation in Flaggstaff, and made it home 5 hours later than expected... but the memories we created are priceless. First time flying for both boys and they did well. Had Christmas spread out this year over 4 events in 2 weeks rather than 4 events in a day, and that was fantastic. Everyone is in bed now and I just finished uploading and ordering all of the pictures from our trip and of our holiday gatherings!
All in all, we've had a great holiday thus far and now I am excited about slowly taking down all the decorations and getting the house cleaned up before returning to school in a few weeks. We've all been relatively healthy and very blessed to have spent the time together on our vacation and during this holiday.
Can't wait to see you and your new dooo- keep smiling my friend. See you soon, I hope!
:-) Stacy C. and family

snowwhite said...

Hi Stacey, Merry Christmas!
Today is the day I catch up on your blog. I'm so glad you have it. Sounds like your Christmas day was very nice, and I'm so glad you are feeling better.
I loved the story Margaret told you about my mom and your granny. I never heard that one. I remember so well the day mothers hair started to grow back in. I was in the bathroom with the door open. Mother was sitting in the rocking chair under a light. She was bare headed.
I was looking at her behind me through the mirror. Her head looked dirty.(Can you imagine anything about her dirty)
I went and rubbed her head, and it was still very smooth, but the next morning she had stubble, and in no time, had beautiful curly hair, much thicker than before Chemo.
She always told me that because I rub her head that day, was why her hair arrived the next day.
We talked to Joe's sister on Christmas eve, and she said her hair was starting to grow back now, and is snow white. I know right now, it seems it will never be the same, but it will come back better than ever. Please don't forget that Margaret and I want to come visit when your ready. Your in my prayers every night. Love Johnnie

Karen G. said...

Merry Christmas Stacey & Family -

It is official - We have truly eaten EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink this holiday season. We are the poster children for the sin of gluttony... something I'm not proud of and my scale won't forget!

Our family celebrated Christmas with a slightly smaller crowd than yours. We had 16 over for dinner, games and then watched some of Jeff's uncle Berry's 16mm films. We haven't dug them out for years so it was fun seeing all the vintage cars, antiquated farming techniques as well as some of Berry's hunting trips.

I talked briefly with Aaron (you were at school partying with the kiddies) just before Christmas and he said that you were doing well after Chemo. Said you were tired but not "revisiting" your meals which sounds much better than your first treatment.

I also went by and saw your mother and she was getting ready for her hair appointment. Wanted to look her best for Christmas :-) She was in good spirits and was looking forward to all the festivities.

My prayer for you and the family this new year is that you continue to kick the cancer to the curb.
Talk to you soon...**Karen

Fagundes' said...

Hi Stanton Family!

I'm so glad you had a great Christmas! It's amazing how family and friends can do wonders to your spirits!

We had a great Christmas. We went to the Fagundes side on Eve and my mom's on day for lunch. We got home early and just relaxed! We ate, and ate and ate. I told Ronnie it is back to the gym and watching what I eat come January. I do this every year!

Well the last 3 days I have been cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. I have been wanting to put extra rods and redue both ours and Blaines closets for months and finally bit the big one and did them both. On Friday it was Blaines, Saturday was ours and today was cleaning and putting all of the deocrations away. I feel sooooo refreshed! I actually threw away stuff and I've been saying that I WILL fit into one day, who am I kidding....if I do it will be a treat to buy new ones!

We are leaving to the coast on Tuesday and I am looking forward to that. Just the fact that I don't "have" to do anything is looking better and better!

I want to wish you and your family a Happy New Year!

We will be home on the 4th. Take care, JoAnne

Tim Simon said...

Hey Stacey and the rest of the well groomed Stanton's: Wishing you an amazing and fantastically improved 2009. Glad to hear you are feeling good and that the Stanton's had a delightful Christmas gathering. Our was good - no fistfights or property damage on my side and the usual calm, quiet affair for Leslie's side. Old hopalong didn't get cookies made this year so she is thinking of doing New years cookies instead. The boys are both home and that is nice in a noisy, chaotic sort of way. Our quiet empty nest way of life gets turned upside down. You'll see very soon. Take care girl and tell Will I better see him out jogging.