December is here--where did this year go? Thanks for your posts about your Thanksgiving holidays--I love hearing about what all of you are doing. It's good to get news from the outside:).
JoAnne F., please tell both of your guys Happy Birthday for me. Birthdays are a wonderful gift!
I've had a good week, and anticipate feeling well until my next chemo day, which is next Friday, Dec. 12. I went to the Dr. (oncologist) yesterday for a "between chemo check-up". He had results from a CT scan that I had done the week before, as well as blood work checks. My CT scan showed nothing new as far as the cancer goes (thank you, Lord), but it did show that my body has not completely recovered from surgery. The way he put it, it's nothing to worry about, just that some things in my abdominal/pelvic cavity aren't quite back to normal yet--still some inflammation, etc. He didn't go into much detail other than that, and he said it would all get better in time, and not to worry about it. Compared to everything else I've been through, this is certainly nothing to lose sleep over.
I also had blood work done for both my oncologist and for the Kaiser coumadin clinic. Coumadin is a blood thinner that I've been on since I got a blood clot in my leg a few days after surgery. They (the coumadin clinic) monitor the thickness of my blood once or twice a week to make sure it's thin enough to keep the clot from returning to a dangerous level. This week my level is a little low, which means I have to increase my coumadin until my blood thins up some more. This situation is also nothing to lose sleep over, because the coumadin clinic is very good at "hovering" over the situation. They are very diligent and keep great tabs on my situation--and I trust their advice. God has placed me in very good hands medically, and I feel very blessed to have access to some really thorough medical folks.
My oncologist called me today to tell me the results of my blood test yesterday, which showed that my white blood cell count is low right now. This is normal after chemo, and the Dr. said to expect white count to go down typically about a week after each treatment. I just have to be careful about exposure to germs, and not go out in crowds much (so if you have a cold, please don't come to see me for a few days:). He put a standing order in for me at the lab, so I can go in whenever I want to check my white count. That way, I don't have to wonder about whether or not I'm immuno-suppressed before I decide whether or not to go somewhere that involves other people. Sounds like a good pro-active approach to me, and I know it will be a helpful tool when it comes to the decision of when to return to work.
I think that's all the news for now. Once again, I thank you all for all the support that you have given to me and my family. I know that it is your continued prayers, as well as your help in such a variety of ways that are helping me to get better and stronger every day. I thank God for each of you daily, and please know that you all are in my prayers too.
Love, Stacey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Stacey - I was all set to write to you and couldn't remember my password. I knew I wrote it down but couldn't find it. Now I found it so let that be a clue. If you don't hear from me it's because I'm too old for computers. I'd love to hear what your dad would say about computers. One thing for sure, it would be humorous.
I've read all of your blogs and I'm so glad to be able to follow your progress. You're such a sport and so brave. I remember when LoraBelle had to be careful about going around a lot of people. Some of what you say is dejavu for me.
Give your family our love and keep those reports coming. I hope William's lungs are doing better now. Give Mary a hug for me. You're all in our prayers every day. Love ya, xxooMargaret
Hi Stacey!
Your positive attitude puts a smile on my face. I am so happy to hear you have good health care. Our family continues to keep you in prayer.
Love, Linda Brown
Hi Staey;
I hope you had a nice weekend. Ours was busy, busy, busy. For the past 17 years the first Saturday of December we hold a BBQ & Horseshoe tournament. This year was a recording setting day. We served about 140 people and had 31 teams playing horsehoes. It was so darn cold I couldn't believe it. The championship game was at 4:30, by the time we cleaned up we were in the house at 6:00. We were beat but truly enjoyed eveyones company. So now I need to get my xmas stuff out...that was my plan today but after 2 birthday parties (neices) I was too tired to do that. Plus I have to be in the mood and I wasn't! HA! HA! I hope your family is doing well tell them all hello. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better everyday that is a great thing. Well better go, just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you. Take care, JoAnne
Post a Comment