Sunday, November 30, 2008

Update 11/30/08

Hi! I hope that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and a great 4 day weekend with your loved ones. Today I am so thankful for the MANY blessings that God has given to our family. What I am most thankful for at the moment is that I've had a really really good Thanksgiving holiday, free of chemo side effects--other than getting tired--but, hey, that can be fixed with a little extra sleep.

As I mentioned last time, Aaron got to come home for Thanksgiving, as football is over for the season. It was SO good to have him home! It was good for him too, as he got a chance to catch up with family and friends, sleep in a little, help Chuck with a yard project, get a term paper done, and escape the fast pace of school, football, and work for a few days. He left this morning and called in when he got back to school (yes, I still tell him to "call when he gets there" to know that he got home safely:). He has two more weeks of the semester left, and it'll be very busy with more papers to get done and finals to take. He'll be home for Christmas around Dec. 12.

Will's lung is still not healing (it's no worse, but it's not progressing either). His Dr. has ordered at least three and maybe four more weeks of no activity for him. He is so frustrated because this is ruining his soccer season. Compounding the issue is the fact that he is no longer in pain, so he doesn't understand why he still has to take it easy. Please help us pray for his healing, as well as his discouragement.

Our Thanksgiving was terrific! We had 26 for dinner at our house, and another 6 came over later for dessert. Our guests included my mom and Chuck's aunts and cousins, and our friends/neighbors Santiago and Marie. Chuck's cousins Sharon and Cathy were in charge of the cooking, and it was so, so nice for me. Everybody pitched in getting stuff ready--all I had to do was to get out the serving platters, bowls, and utensils and they took care of the rest. It was a lovely day and so good to see everyone! I got about a 20 minute nap between dinner and dessert--just enough! Both my Mom and Chuck's Aunt Clare (both in their 80's) hung in there for the whole day, and both had a nice time. The best part for me was that there was no dizziness or nausea--one more answered prayer!

Friday evening Will was in the Hanford Christmas parade, on the Hanford West Key Club (a Jr. Kiwanis club) float, along with many of his friends. So of course, Chuck, Aaron and I went to the parade to watch. It was fun--I hadn't been to the Christmas parade in years. I left the wheelchair in the car and we walked several blocks to find a viewing spot. It was great to get out, and it felt really good to walk.

Okay, so that was my rambling about my weekend. I'd love to hear from any of you who care to share, about your Thanksgiving and/or your weekend. I love reading your posts and would love to know how your holiday was. Take care, everyone, and remember to give thanks in all things.

Much love, Stacey

5 comments:

Karen G. said...

Hi Stacey,

Sorry I haven't been by to see you and bring you another Jamba Juice. Our family has been fighting off this nasty cold and that was the last thing I wanted to bring over to you. As soon as I'm over this crud, I'll give you a call and come for a quick visit if you're up for it.

It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with all your family and I'm glad that your mom was able to make it.

Thanks for keeping the blog updated and know that when I'm having my heart to heart chats with the Lord, you're brought up in the conversation :-)

Take care...Karen

Tim Simon said...

I typed a nice long message and it mis-fired when I published it! UGH

Summarized - Take care, love you guys and glad you had a great holiday.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey
Glad your Thanksgiving was wonderful, and I am so thankfull that you were able to enjoy without any side effects, other than needing a nap, but then who doesn't need a nap on Thanksgiving, it's the tryptophan that is in the turkey that makes us tired :o)

Our Thanksgiving was nice as well, I had 15 at the table and Ron deep fried his first turkey(s). WOW, if you like turkey, this is the was to go. I am not big on turkey (give me the ham, which I cooked in the roaster) but I sure did like having my oven free for all the trimmings. And he cooked 2 15 pound turkeys in 2 hours. So I think this will become the way to cook the turkey from here on out for us.

Continued praise and prayers for you my friend.
Tina

Fagundes' said...

Hi Stacey & family,

So glad to hear you had a great Thanksgiving and without any set backs was even better.

We had a quiet Thanksgiving which we always do, just the 3 of us, then we made a few rounds and came home. We left to the coast (Pismo) on Friday am and returned Sunday. Wow, what great weather, it was 72 degrees, no wind and t-shirt weather! I have never been there this time of the year and experience that kind of weather. We rode the buggy & Blaine took his jeep, we had a great time. We met up with Steve & Theresa Dias which is who we always go with. Steve is our "designated" BBQer so of course we ate, and ate and ate! Shared lots of laughter, but was happy to get home. I should of stayed home and got a bunch of things done, but we hadn't been in just awhile I told Ronnie let's get out of there. Plus Blaine had Thursday & Friday off from work so it was meant to be. Blaine's birthday was on Thanksgiving this year now he's a big 19, can you believe that!!! I can't... Ronnie's is tomorrow but I can't tell you his age, because he will get depressed! Ha! Ha! (46)

So glad you have this blog, it is great to hear from you as I'm sure we are with you.

When is your next treatment scheduled?

Well better go, I had a few minutes so I thought I would write you a few lines.

Stacy C. said...

We are so glad to hear that your Thanksgiving was a good one... ours was also. We got to spend some time in Bakersfield with family and had time to do a little decorating and shopping back at home in Hanford.
Also glad to hear that your symptoms have lightened up a bit... keep up on those naps, they'll help! What will you ever do when you have to go back to work and can't take one every day? Doesn't that sould horrible? :-)
Thanks for updating even though you were busy with family and friends. It is very nice to know that you are doing well and able to enjoy the holidays.
:-) Stacy and family