Hi friends. I'm still here:). I'm sorry I haven't written anything for over a week, but I've had several days of dizziness (probably due to anemia) since my Dr. appts. last week, and haven't felt like doing much. So I've been back on the couch, lying around like a slug most of the week. But yesterday and today have been much better days, and today I've had a really really good day. Thank you Lord, for MORE answered prayer!
Okay, so I guess we'll go back about a week. I went to chemo class (dragged both Chuck and Will in there with me--Will was so bored, but put on a happy face anyway). I came home with a large folder of literature to digest about side effects, dosages, which doctor or nurse to call if you are having difficulty with just about any given situation, counseling services for cancer patients and their families, a wig/hat/scarf order booklet, and just about anything else you might want to know about chemotherapy. I must say that Kaiser is really really thorough. I came home from this class feeling pretty overwhelmed and nervous, and I actually had to put the folder away for a few days before I was ready to digest all of the stuff I knew I needed to be aware of before starting chemo. So now that I've actually read through it without hyperventilating/passing out, I now realize that a little info is a good thing--and I feel more comfortable about getting in there and getting started with this icky chemo, so we can get on with the process of kicking this cancer to the curb!
The info says to expect lots of nausea and fatigue, hair loss, anemia, and assorted other side effects that are common. So my prayer now is that these side effects will be minimal and that I will focus not on the side effects that "may" happen, but rather that I will focus on the real purpose of the chemo--which is to kill whatever cancer there is left in my body. If I can focus on the end goal, then putting up with the side effects will be a little easier. At this point, I'm feeling pretty strong/positive and just want to get started--because the sooner we get this thing started--the sooner we'll be done:) . Please help me pray for the next four/five months of treatments--that I will stay strong and not get whiny when the road gets rocky. Thank you AGAIN for praying for me.
I had a port for chemo entry put in last week also. It is just below my right clavicle and it totally creeped me out when they put it in. I was awake for the procedure (local anesthetic only), and tho it didn't hurt, I could feel it and hear it going under my skin and I was sick to my stomach for 3 days after just thinking about it--see what I mean about being whiny and whimpy:). Anyway, I'm used to it now, and that's a good thing, since it's going to be there for awhile!
The rest of the family is doing okay. Will is still not cleared for sports yet, as his little lung puncture has not completely cleared up yet. It is better, but not healed completely, and the dr. doesn't want him to risk making it worse until it is COMPLETELY healed. So he is not a happy camper! Football is over, but soccer season is under way, and he is on the sidelines playing "waterboy" and shagging the stray soccer balls while waiting for the dr's clearance to play. We tell him patience is a virtue. He is not amused:)
Oh yes, and in the last x-ray of his lung, the radiologist also noticed that he has a small piece of bone chippped off of his right clavicle and a rt. shoulder separation too. So he's going up to Fresno with us tomorrow to see the orthopedic dr. Will and Chuck will go down the hall to that appt. while I'm doing my chemo appt. We are coming to appreciate more and more the large Kaiser facility where we can get the whole family seen in one building--on the same day!
Never a dull moment.
It's a good thing Chuck is healthy! He's doing well and taking good care of the rest of us. He's trying to get some yard work done--it's a good and necessary diversion and stress reliever. And, I believe, a better option than Tim Simon's suggestion of taking up cage fighting, although I guess that could be entertaining as well:)
Aaron's also doing well, but really busy. Finals and big papers are all due within the next two 1/2 weeks, so he has a full plate. It'll be good to have him home in mid Dec. for winter break.
My mom is doing okay also. I've been able to visit with her several times the last couple of weeks, now that I look somewhat more like myself. I looked pretty bad the first couple of weeks out of the hospital, so I didn't go see her until I looked a little "less scary". She now understands how sick I've been, and just wants me to get better. I did tell her about the cancer and the chemo starting up, and she took it very well (another answered prayer, thank you God). She cracked me up when she said to me, "You must have been in a lot of pain, because you have a new big wrinkle between your eyes!"
Thanks, Mom.
Thanks again to all of you who are following all of this rambling. I am so thankful for each of you, who keep me afloat. The blessings that you continue to bring to us DAILY are so incredibly encouraging. God has been so faithful to answer my prayers for helping me make it through the rough days, and each time I get down or tired or whiny, one of you calls, or comes by, or sends a card in the mail, or brings dinner over, or sends their housekeeper over to clean my house! (Yes, I'm serious--thank you, my dear Bonko Buddies!). I wish you could all know how much your friendship means to me and my family.
I'll post again in a few days and let you know how things are going.
Much love, Stacey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We've been thinking about you friend. May god make those side effects minimal and easy to get under control. Tanner talked about our visit for days and told Nana and Papa all about it in Bakersfield! He thinks you are the best and Landon thinks that you will be his teacher for sure! Hope to see you again soon. Bundle up in that blanket and give us a call if we can do anything for any of you! ;-) Stacy and Family
Post a Comment